Creating and editing blog posts
When you sign in to the web site with a Contributor (or more capable) role, you will be able to see the Admin bar at the top of your screen. Click on “48th Highlanders of Canada” on the left side of this bar to see some of the WordPress Admin page.
Create a new post
To create a new post, you can either:
- Go to the Admin page (called Dashboard) by clicking on “48th Highlanders” in the upper left corner of your screen. Click the “Posts” menu item on the left of the Dashboard page then click “Add New” or
- Click “+ New” on the Admin bar and select “Post.”
When the Post page appears, proceed as follows:
- Enter the title of the post. Click “Add title” and start typing. The title will be the subject of the MailChimp e-mail and the first line of the post on social media sites.
- Enter the body of the post in the area indicated. Another way to create the body of your post is to copy the text from a text editor (e.g. MS Word) and paste it into the post body. After you paste, you should click the “Save draft” button near the upper right corner of the screen. You can then continue editing.
- Click the Post tab at the top of the column on the right side of the screen.
- Ensure the appropriate “featured image” is added. The Featured Image is included in MailChimp e-mails and a link to the “Featured Image” is included in all social media posts. Users can upload images directly by clicking on the “set featured image” link on the right side of the Post Edit screen.
- Ensure the appropriate category is assigned.
- “Web site only” – Posts in this category will appear only on the web site. “Members” will not get an e-mail notification and the post will not appear on Facebook.
- “Published post” – All “members” who have registered on the web site will be sent an e-mail notifying them of the post and the post will be transmitted to social media sites.
- If you want to schedule the post to become visible later, click the date and time beside the word “Publish” and select a date and time.
- Excerpt. (Details to be developed.)
- Click the “Preview” button to see what the post will look like on the web site.
- When you click the “Submit for Review” button, the post will be saved and you can log out.
- If you are an Author, Editor or Administrator, you can click the “Publish” button to make the post visible on the web site.
Edit existing post
Once a post has been published, you cannot edit the post. You must create a new post and republish it. With the Admin page open, click the “Posts” menu item on the left of the Admin page then click “Posts” then “All Posts.” A list of all posts will appear. Find the post you want to edit by:
- Searching for the post using the search field in the upper right corner of the screen or
- Scrolling down the list. (Hint: you can re-sequence the list by clicking on a column heading at the top of the list.)
When you find the post you want to edit / republish, hover your mouse over the title of the post and select the appropriate action that will appear below the title. To edit an unpublished post, select “Edit.”
IMPORTANT: When you have completed your changes, be sure to click the Update button in the upper right corner of the screen.
Updated 9 Apr 2021